Friday, October 08, 2004

Ah. The glamour of journalism.

I'm just writing an advertising feature about the importance of having your flu jab. 600 words, two stories, one picture... I'm thinking about stapling my tongue to a post-it note for something fun to do to alleviate the boredom.

It is the final two hours of work on the day that will not die (of the week that will not die). Will be having glorious Turkish food, playing newly delivered Fable (yay!) and seeing L4YER CAKE (Dexter Fletchery goodness!) this weekend but I still have to drag myself through to the bitter end.

I am actually a bit gutted because I missed a golden chance to break the tedium. About half an hour ago some posh snotty old woman came in and started shouting at our receptionist about my misuse of 'notorious' in a feature when I should have used 'infamous' to describe Lewis Carroll. She actually made our (not the brightest but lovely) receptionist cry. And when through her tears she asked the harridan if she wanted me to come down and discuss it she said no and left in a hurry. I wish she'd stayed - I really could have taken her on, especially since according to our dictionary:

no·to·ri·ous    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (n-tôr-s, -tr-) adj.
Known widely and usually unfavorably; infamous: a notorious gangster; a district notorious for vice.

in·fa·mous    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (nf-ms) adj.
1. Having an exceedingly bad reputation; notorious.
2. Causing or deserving infamy; heinous: an infamous deed.
3. Law.
a. Punishable by severe measures, such as death, long imprisonment, or loss of civil rights.
b. Convicted of a crime, such as treason or felony, that carries such a punishment.

Not that I'm all wound up about this. Or stroppy. Cos I'm not stroppy. Ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home